Study the words and the word-combinations.
travel – путешествие
trip – экскурсия, рейс
journey – поездка, путешествие
flight – полет
hotel – гостиница
single ticket – билет в один конец
first-class – первый класс
second-class – второй класс
season ticket – абонемент
domestic / international flight – внутренний / международный рейс
non-stop – беспосадочный , безостановочный
duty-free – не подлежащий обложению таможенной пошлиной
delay – задерживать, откладывать
exit – выход
runway – подъездной путь
take off – взлетать
railway station – железнодорожная станция, вокзал
carriage – пассажирский вагон
compartment – купе
sleeper – спальное место в вагоне
time table – расписание
left-luggage office – камера хранения
check in / out – заселиться / освободить место в гостинице
customs officer – таможенник
inquiry office – справочное бюро
I. Study the following expressions and translate them into Russian.
confirm the flight
check for a flight
announce the flight
cancel the flight
label the luggage
miss the train
change the train
ask for a room
pay an excess luggage.
II. Match each of the nouns in box A with one of the nouns in box B to produce compound nouns.
Model: “holiday maker”
III. Working in groups have a vocabulary quiz.
1.Going to other places is called ...
2.When you fly to some places in the world, we say that we are going on ...
3.When we go by boat we call it...
4.A journey which is not so long we call ...
5.Sailing about for pleasure is called ...
6.Standing by the roadside trying to get a lift we call ...
(voyage, trip, cruise, travelling, hitchhiking, journey).
1.Flights inside the country are called ...
2.A train which takes you to your destination without a change is a ...
3.A bus used for long distance journey is a ...
4.A jacket you have to wear when your ship is wrecked is a ...
5.People who go on holidays are called ...
6.Special places in a port where the ships are tied up are...
7.The money you pay for your journey on a bus is called the ...
(coach, domestic, fare, holiday makers, through train, harbours, docks, life-jacket).
1.The place you are travelling to is…
2.The place where trains wait is…
3.The buildings where railway passengers arrive and leave is …
4.The place where buses wait is …
5.The place where taxis wait is …
6.The place where planes wait is …
7.The room people wait for the plane is …
8.A man who carries suitcases is …
9.A man in command on board a ship is …
10.People who work in the plane are …
11.A person who checks that you have bought a ticket is …
(destination, the crew, taxi rank, ticket collector, platform/terminus, terminals, porter, runway, captain, bus station, departure lounge).
IV. Make your choice.
1. The air hostess/pilot takes care of you when you are on board a plane. 2. The engineer/the pilot flies the plane. 3. During the take off the passengers must remain in their seats/chairs. 4. A plane is repaired in a hangar/garage. 5. When they have brought a tent or caravan they go camping/horse riding. 6. They’ll reach/arrive in the city by night. 7.1 hope we’ll arrive in/arrive at the station on time. 8. The dean was absent/missed at the meeting. 9. Along the Dutch coast there are hills/dunes. 10. The Alps in Switzerland are mountains/rocks. 11. Most villages in Europe are built in the valleys/mountains.
V. Fill in the blanks with the words and phrases from the box.
1. When you travel somewhere by plane, first you go to the ..., then you go through ... until you get to the ..., where you wait until your flight is called. Then you go to ..., for example until it is time to board the plane.
2. When you arrive at an airport you first go through ... . Then you reclaim your baggage and go through the ..., where they may check your luggage. Then on the ... you are met by friends and relatives.
3. When you travel by train you first go to the ... to get your ticket and then to... to reclaim your baggage (which you deposited there because it was too heavy to carry around). Then it’s time to run to ... to catch the train.
4. Travelling by sea is very exciting. Modern ... look like real floating cities with all conveniences. Stewardess keep the ... clean. Medical staff takes care of the passengers because some people may get ... .
(arrivals, check-in counter, customs hall, departure lounge, sea-liners, gate 25, immigration, seasick, left luggage, platform 6, ticket office, customs, cabins).
VI. Read the text.
At the railway station.
It’s common knowledge that nowadays people travel a lot. They travel on business and for pleasure, about the country and abroad. Those who wish to travel have at their disposal various means of transport: express trains and big ships, cars and jet airlines.
Although we all agree that the future belongs to the air transport, the railway is still one of the most popular means of communication. Of course, if people are short of time and have to travel a long distance they usually travel by air. But if they have time they prefer to go by train.
With a train you have speed, comfort and pleasure combined. From the comfortable corner seat of a carriage you have a splendid view of the countryside. If you are hungry you can have a meal in the dining-car and if the journey is long you can have a comfortable bed in a sleep.
A big railway station is a very busy and interesting place. Let’s imagine that we are at one of them.
There are a lot of platforms at which trains come in and go out. A train is standing at one of platforms ready to leave. The porters are very busy carrying luggage to the train or pushing it on their trucks. On another platform a train has come in. Some passengers are getting out, others are getting in. Those who haven’t got their tickets in advance are waiting in queues at the booking-office. At the bookstalls people are choosing books, magazines and newspapers for the journey. At the cloak – room some people are leaving and taking their luggage.
There are a lot of notices in a big railway station. You may see entrance and exit. There is also a waiting-room where you can relax until it is time to board your train. If you are hungry or thirsty you’ll go to the refreshment room.
If you don’t know the number of the platform from which your train leaves, look for the notice arrivals and departures. They will tell you the number of the platform.
When you arrive in a large town you may leave your heavy luggage at the station. In this case you will look for the cloak room or left luggage office.
You will also see the booking office. This is where you buy your ticket. If you don’t know the time or the platform your train leaves from you’ll go to the inquiry office or the information bureau.
VII. Answer the questions:
1) What means of transport do people have at their disposal if they wish to travel?
2) What is still one of the most popular means of communication?
3) Where can you have a meal if you are hungry?
4) Is a big railway station a very busy and interesting place?
5) Why are the porters very busy?
6) What are people choosing at the bookstalls?
7) Where can you relax until it is time to board your train?
8) Where do you go if you don’t know the time or the platform your train leaves from?
VIII. Complete the sentences:
1) It’s common knowledge that …
2) We all agree that …
3) If people have time …
4) From the comfortable corner seat of a carriage you have …
5) There are a lot of platforms at which …
6) Some passengers are getting out, others are …
7) If you are hungry or thirsty you’ll …
8) You may leave your heavy luggage at the …
IX. Supply the missing prepositions in the following sentences.
1) People travel … business and … pleasure.
2) The future belong … the air transport.
3) If people have to travel a long distance they usually travel … air.
4) If the journey is long you can have a comfortable bed … a sleeper.
5) Those who haven’t got their tickets … advance are waiting … queues.
6) … the clock-room some people are leaving and taking their luggage.
7) If you don’t know the number of the platform from which your train leaves you…
X. Translate into English.
различные средства транспорта; скорость, удобство и удовольствие; великолепный вид; вагон-ресторан; спальный вагон; в киоске; вход и выход; зал ожидания; прибытие; отправление; камера хранения; билетная касса.
XI. Act out the dialogues. Improvise similar ones.
At the Airport
- I’d like to make a reservation for a ticket to London on or about the first of November. Are there any planes on these days?
- I’ll have a look in the time-table for you and see what is available. What class would you like to travel?
- Economy class, open return, so that I could use it at any time.
- Belavia Flight. N 751 leaves at 11.30 and flies direct.
- All right.
- What’s your name and a telephone number?
- Ivan Borisov, 299-28-93. When can I get my tickets?
- You’ll have them two days before your departure. Don’t forget to confirm the flight.
- All right. Thank you.
On a plane
- Excuse me, do you happen to know the exact time?
- It’s 11.20 a.m. In 10 minutes the plain is taking off and in 3 hours we are in London.
- It is pleasant to be back in England. I haven’t been there for 5 years. See, the stewardess asks to fasten the belts. The plane starts in a few minutes.
An hour later dinner was served. The passengers had a chat and then they heard the stewardess announcing the landing.
- Ladies and gentlemen. Fasten your belts. We are landing soon. I would ask you to remain seated until the aircraft has reached its final position. The temperature here in London is 15 °C or 59 °F. The exact local time is 14.05. Captain Adamovich and his crew would like to say good-bye to you. I hope you enjoyed your flight. Thank you and “До свиданья”.
At the Hotel
(Speakers: Mr. Collins and the receptionist)
- Good evening. My name is Collins. I booked a room last week for myself.
- Yes, sir. What did you say the name was, sir?
- Collins, C, o, double 1, i, n, s.
- Yes, here we are. We got your letter. Room 7, please. If you sign the register, I’ll ask the porter to show you the room and help you with your luggage.
- Thank you, where do I sign?
- Just here, sir - full name, home address, date and signature.
- Right, there we are.
- Thank you, sir. I hope you’ll find the room comfortable.
Обсудить на форуме